Thursday, 14 May 2009

Sound in OpenSuse 11.1 on Dell D830

One problem I had left since my latest post my sound was not working properly.

But with a little googling I got it fixed via this post, with many thanks to the writer. Although the sound card of my machine is a little different:
makker-laptop:~ # lspci|grep Audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)

makker-laptop:~ # cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#*|grep Codec
Codec: SigmaTel STAC9205
Codec: Conexant ID 2c06
His solution did work for me:
  • Edit /etc/modprob.d/sound:
options snd slots=snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel model=laptop
# u1Nb.bHIrUAw8+c5:82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel
  • Reboot
OpenSuse 11.1 looks great. But installing is in my experience not so evident as with 10.3 or 11.0.
Luckily if Google is also your best-friend, it is a doable job.

Upgrade to OpenSuse 11.1 and install VMWare Server 2.0.1 init

Last weekend I decided to upgrade my OpenSuse. Main reason was that I hoped that with catching up to the latest release I would be able to connect to the new wireless router at work.

But it got me in pretty much trouble. So in the end I reinstalled it instead of upgrading it.

Then I could not get the nvidia drivers to work on my D830 with nvidia quadro nvs 135.
I got it working by:
  1. init 3
  2. start yast2
  3. install nvidia-gfxG02-kmp-default and x11-video-nvideoG02 (delete possbile G01 counterparts, but install the nvidia configuration tool also)
  4. sax2 -4 -m 0=nvidia
  5. init 5

Then you can use sax or the nvidia configuration tool.

I struggled also with installing VMWare 2.0.1. Running was failing with compiling the vsocket module. I solved that with the patch given here (Thanks "snakedriver").
But the console would not pop-up in firefox.
Although I did a reinstall of OpenSuse, I just copied my Firefox profile back from the backup. In that the vmware console plugin resides from my former installation. You would say that it should not matter, since I used the same installation. But by removing it and installing it from my newly installed, local, vmware server I got it working.